Like the birds, we are always careful to build a stong nest and we are looking for the best materials to build our nest with. That's why we appreciate donations year around. You don't have to wait for a special holiday, we will always carefully nurture and protect your investment in FENCE so it will continue to grow and serve its mission now and into the future. Click here to donate today. Thank You!
FENCE offers 384 acres of hardwood forest, meadow, and wetland for hikers, birdwatchers, gardeners, astronomers. Our entire property is protected by a conservation easement, so it will always be available for future generations. During the school year, some eight thousand elementary and junior high school students join our Project FENCE natural history curriculum.
FENCE is proud to offer TROT, a therapeutic riding program teaching horsemanship skills to adults and children with physical, developmental and cognitive challenges in a safe, friendly and supportive environment.
The FENCE Equestrian Center has gained a reputation as one of the finest facilities of its kind in the Southeast. With permanent stabling for over 300 horses in eleven barns, all-weather footing in three lighted showrings (including a covered arena), on-site parking and spectator seating, the Equestrian Center hosts events in all disciplines year-round.
- Upcoming Events
- Cowboy Mounted Shooting Show Cowboy Mounted Shooting, one of the fastest growing equestrian sports, is an exciting display of horsemanship and marksmanship. Mounted contestants compete in this fast action timed event using two .45 caliber single action revolvers each loaded with five rounds of specially prepared blank ammunition. May 30, 2015 - May 31, 2015
- FENCE Open Horse Show Jun 06, 2015 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
- BRHJA Jun 12, 2015 - Jun 14, 2015
- Beginner Horse Camp AGES [8–12] 8:30-12:30 $175.00 LEARN THE BASICS OF HORSE CARE, WHICH WILL INCLUDE GROOMING, TACKING, AND HORSE SAFETY. ALSO LEARN HOW TO MOUNT, DISMOUNT, WALK AND TROT Jun 15, 2015 - Jun 19, 2015
- NCDCTA Jun 20, 2015 - Jun 21, 2015
- Recent News
- Spring is in the air at FENCE! : After a long cold winter, spring has finally arrived. Wildflowers are beginning to blossom, trees are starting to bud, and birds are filling our bird feeders. It is an all around beautiful time to come out and enjoy nature. Spring at the Foothills Equestrian Nature Center also means that it is field trip season. Read more…
- Up, Up, Up and Away! : Here at the FENCE we always cross our fingers for good weather when Go Fly a Kite Day rolls around each year. This year we got just what we had hoped for with beautiful sunny, breezy, and 60 degree weather! On March 7th FENCE was the place to be if you were looking for a fun family oriented way to spend time outdoors. Our event was a great success with about 300 community members coming out to enjoy the weather and kite flying. Read more…