Like the birds, we are always careful to build a stong nest and we are looking for the best materials to build our nest with. That's why we appreciate donations year around. You don't have to wait for a special holiday, we will always carefully nurture and protect your investment in FENCE so it will continue to grow and serve its mission now and into the future. Click here to donate today. Thank You!
FENCE offers 384 acres of hardwood forest, meadow, and wetland for hikers, birdwatchers, gardeners, astronomers. Our entire property is protected by a conservation easement, so it will always be available for future generations. During the school year, some eight thousand elementary and junior high school students join our Project FENCE natural history curriculum.
FENCE is proud to offer TROT, a therapeutic riding program teaching horsemanship skills to adults and children with physical, developmental and cognitive challenges in a safe, friendly and supportive environment.
The FENCE Equestrian Center has gained a reputation as one of the finest facilities of its kind in the Southeast. With permanent stabling for over 300 horses in eleven barns, all-weather footing in three lighted showrings (including a covered arena), on-site parking and spectator seating, the Equestrian Center hosts events in all disciplines year-round.
- Upcoming Events
- Cal Middleton Clinic Besides being a Res. World Champion in Reining, Cal has also competed in Cutting, Dressage, Western Dressage, Working Cowhorse and Roping. Cal is a writer, an NRHA Judge, a passionate colt starter, a MASTER HORSEMAN and an incredible teacher. Come and let him help you with whatever your equine goals may be. Apr 18, 2015 - Apr 19, 2015
- Free Armchair Traveler with Vince & Gloria Verrecchio This 2-part “edutainment” series is for horse riders and non-riders who have wondered what it would be like to race against wild zebra in South Africa and track rhino with a camera by horseback. "This event is made possible by the Kirby Endowment at the Polk County Community Foundation" Apr 19, 2015 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM
- Blue Ridge Dog Agility Apr 24, 2015 - Apr 26, 2015
- Bats: Kids Night Out! Parents drop your children off at FENCE for a night all about bats! The night will last from 6:00pm until 9:00pm. We will learn about bats and why they are important, play some batty games, create crafty bats to take home, and go outside at dusk and view our nocturnal friends. Don’t miss out on this fun night! Ages 5-12 welcome. Please sign up in advance by April 19th. The cost of this event is $10 per child. Apr 24, 2015 06:00 PM - 09:00 PM
- Greenville Pony Club Cross Country Schooling Apr 25, 2015 09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
- Recent News
- Spring is in the air at FENCE! : After a long cold winter, spring has finally arrived. Wildflowers are beginning to blossom, trees are starting to bud, and birds are filling our bird feeders. It is an all around beautiful time to come out and enjoy nature. Spring at the Foothills Equestrian Nature Center also means that it is field trip season. Read more…
- Up, Up, Up and Away! : Here at the FENCE we always cross our fingers for good weather when Go Fly a Kite Day rolls around each year. This year we got just what we had hoped for with beautiful sunny, breezy, and 60 degree weather! On March 7th FENCE was the place to be if you were looking for a fun family oriented way to spend time outdoors. Our event was a great success with about 300 community members coming out to enjoy the weather and kite flying. Read more…